How it Started?
Automation! Automation! Once it was a nightmare for me. As for me coding is not a cup of my tea. Now, when I have started learning it with more efforts and enthusiasm to get this task ticked as done from my task list. Again, I have started learning and now I come across that to get rid of repetitive and monotonous boring task, and still want an accurate and good performance in less time for a stable requirement or to perform regression task we generate/create scripts (automation script in any programming language) which run automatically just on a single click that’s Automation.
This brings a wondering smile to my face and a thought strikes to my mind Ohh! that’s why everybody is running behind automation these days. Manual work is there and will remain forever but still who doesn’t like to get their work done fast with accurate result. So, Automations is their way…
In my opinion, few points are there which helped me understand more about automation. These points initiated me to learn and implement it in my task.
- Auto (self) + Matic (Willing) means “Willing to self-perform” in simple terms. When we need to perform same task again and again in testing, we perform regression (to check nothing is affected due to the fixes made) every time some changes are made to code. We can use automation. As it says self-working / willing to self-perform means the task is performed itself with zeal. If one get help of machine to perform any task, one can save time and cost and that in the case, when one need to perform same task again and again. Example washing machine, clothes can be washed itself which helps in saving time and cost. So, Automation helps in reducing time taken and cost…
- As we use automation for regression to validate that past features are still working or not. Might be they get affected by new changes implemented. As it says,
“Fixed goals stabilize life”.
Same way fixed/frozen requirements stabilize the automation script.
- It is obvious and re-known that Manual labour is expensive. Hence, manual testing is expensive as one cost associated with hire skilled manual testers. However, this cost keeps on increasing with time. Whereas Automation cost is also too high at initial setup, i.e. cost associated to automation tool purchase, training and maintenance of test scripts is actually high. There are only few free ware automation tools available in market. Nevertheless this cost is one time cost. Think! Think! One time investment is better than investing similar good amount again and again.
- If one need to perform same task continuously in a same way and that to manually. As,
“Necessity is a mother of invention”
One might find some easier and faster way to perform it. As it says:
“Haste makes waste”.
It may lead to incomplete coverage. As one know result will be going to same. Here, automation helps whether we need to perform same task again and again covering all path/flow in fraction of time one can get the task done. Result remains the same which increase the consistency of work.
- It’s comparatively easy to develop a product, but you need to put much efforts in order to maintains its quality. So one needs to Stay competitive as market wants best of everything . And, Automation helps in creating better quality products, that too, in less time and cost which attracts the customer.
- If any work need to be done repetitively that too manually, the person loose the interest and the outcome drops. Sometimes, it happens due to monotonous work one might skip 100% coverage to attain the result. Whereas, when same work is automated, one can get good results each time which increases performance. With the help of automation, one can perform other tasks instead of spending time in same work.
- Repetitive work becomes boring, hence impacts on performance of any consistent tester. Just for the sake of completing the work, one may skip coverage or give an incorrect record. Whereas, automation provide a way to record all details and follow all paths mentioned in script to give accurate result.
Hope this might help/motivate you in your way to learn automation…..